Sunday, October 05, 2008

Check it off the list...I DID IT!


I am just going to gloat about this for a day or two because I was not sure I was ever going to accomplish this goal of mine or not but........ I did it, I did it, I did it! Saturday morning I ran the St. George marathon. My goal was to first, finish and second, try to do it under 5 hours. It poured rain, and wind blew the entire time but I ran the whole thing (I only stopped once for a quick potty break), my finish time was 4 hours 26 minutes. Not too shabby for my first one but nowhere near some of the amazing runners ahead of me. The top finisher ran it in 2 hours 22 minutes (unbelievable, especially since he's not Kenyan). 

My Mom and Dad were there to cheer me on along with my awesome husband and my friend Kim. Thanks guys it was so much fun to share that experience with you and RD I know you sacrificed a lot for me to train. I can not even explain what a mental challenge it is to run that distance if you have done it before I am sure you know. I thought I would "hit a wall" at some point but I really did not. I do remember seeing the 24 mile marker and thinking "are you kidding me..." sometimes 2 more miles feels like asking your body for 10. I think the worse part of the whole thing was sitting in the ice bath for 20 minutes afterwards. I met a lot of great people along the route and I am just plain pleased to be a finisher. Don't get me wrong...I have been popping the Ibuprofren since yesterday and I am sure it will be a day or two until I can walk normal.

Here are some of my strange random thoughts and things I think about that keep me going during the marathon & training:  

I'd like to have a sign on my back that says "Yes these are love handles but they just passed you!"(ha,ha,ha) or I think about how a dear friend found out I was training for a marathon and said "You just do not look like the running type." My body structure is not Olympic caliber material but I am the little engine that could.

(this one is a little weird but it works for me) Sometimes when I really feel like stopping I think about the poor Jewish people that were in concentration camps and how the Nazi's made them work or they would die. So basically I pretend I am in the camp and being chased...strange I know but it is a good motivator.

Of course I think about RD and other awesome people I have met that live with  Multiple Sclerosis everyday, and how they have to fight to move, fight pain and fatigue constantly.   

20 comments:

Lyndee said...

You are awesome!!! :)

Unknown said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I am so proud of you. way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heather said...

Yeah! Congrats Amanda! You did it!!!!! What an achievement!

Di said...

Good for you! Your thoughts when you run had me laughing :)

Lewis Family said...

I'm sooo proud of you! You are totally olympic caliber! This race is symbolic of all that you and R.D. have faced in these past several years, you prepared, you struggled through the tough parts and you conquered. You have proven that you can triumph over anything (even the Nazis)! Congrats! Love ya, Dixie

Brandi said...

WOO HOO!! Congrats Amanda! I know how hard you have worked :)

Unknown said...

Amanda, we LOVED your thoughts! The love handle, the Natzi's chasing you...Jason was cracking up for quite a while. It is cool that you ran a marathon and kudos for you for all the time and energy you invested in training!

Marcy May said...

Congrats on the marathon!
We miss you now that there is no reason for you to come to my house. (ex-visiting teacher) Maybe we could do a BBQ or something. Call me some time.

Kara said...

You are my hero. And I think we need to have shirts made with your love handles comment!!

Marinda said...

Great job Amanda! I truly admire you for doing it.

Terry said...

Way to go Amanda! That is so amazing! What a great thing to have done!

Melanie said...

Congrats Amanda! I wish I had your determination and stamina. I am amazed with everything you do.

Amanda Bishop said...

Thanks everyone...I did not realized I had so many friends!

sheila said...

I really can't imagine or comprehend running for 4.5 hrs. I am so proud of you. You set your mind to something, and you did it. It must feel great. Congrats! You need to stop being an over achiever (it make the other sister-in-law in the family look bad), ha, ha. I'm only kidding, love ya.

The Cecil Clan said...

You ROCK! Thanks for letting me be a part of it! It was awesome to see you in action!

Angie said...

Amanda you are amazing! I love your self-motivational speeches. I have my own...but I have to use them to run 2 miles! :)

jtb said...

I can't believe you finished faster than me. Now I'll have to run another one. Congratulations!

Tamra said...

You are amazing! Congrats and as for the runners body-have you not seen your legs. I would do just about anything for your legs-well except run like you do, so I guess I wouldn't do just about anyhing. I liked the sign on your back idea, I think you should have done it.

Dena said...

Hi Amanda! I'm so glad I found your blog. You're family is so cute! Wow! I can't believe you ran a marathon. I don't think I could even run a mile without passing out. What an accomplishment!

Kandis said...

Amanda,
I check your blog all the time and never comment...sorry :(
This is awesome that you ran the marathon. What an accomplishment!
You should be proud of yourself.
Congrats that is awesome!